The lands that were created into Paradise Township in 1848 were also the home to the Lene Lenape; part of the “Walking Purchase” of 1737; once included in the counties of Bucks, Northampton and Pike and the townships of Lower Smithfield and Price.
Settlement of this wilderness began in the early 1820’s by families of German descent who moved north from the “drylands” of Northampton County. Agricultural and timbering pursuits were their principal activities until the opening of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad in 1848.
With the railroad, visitors from New York and Philadelphia areas flocked to the area for summer vacations, creating a “resort” industry of hotels, boardinghouses, and supporting business pursuits, which has lasted until today.
Paradise continues to retain its rural atmosphere through the preservation of land by its residents and the development of Conservation Ordinances serving a population of 2,671 residents.